L2JMobius

Hello, I'm working on porting the L2JMobius sources

Grymyr · 6 · 442

Offline Grymyr

• Vassal
Hello,

Currently I'm working on porting the L2JMobius project for 447 protocol to C#/.NET.
About 90% of codebase is ported (except scripts and quests) and now I'm fixing the last compilation errors. After the code starts to compile successfully I will most probably need to fix logical errors in the code that appeared during Java -> C# porting.
I have chosen .NET because I know it excellently.

What I'm planning to achieve with this port in the future:
1) Modernizing project codebase, for example using EF core for DB access.
2) Using allocation free .NET techniques. In Java everything is a class on heap, .NET has stack-allocated structs and ref-parameters.
3) Performance close to C++.
4) API-like world objects with all packet mechanics hidden inside

The repo is here -link removed-

I'm looking for enthusiasts who can help me with the project.

Online Mobius

• Distinguished King
Hello,

Currently I'm working on porting the L2JMobius project for 447 protocol to C#/.NET.
About 90% of codebase is ported (except scripts and quests) and now I'm fixing the last compilation errors. After the code starts to compile successfully I will most probably need to fix logical errors in the code that appeared during Java -> C# porting.
I have chosen .NET because I know it excellently.

What I'm planning to achieve with this port in the future:
1) Modernizing project codebase, for example using EF core for DB access.
2) Using allocation free .NET techniques. In Java everything is a class on heap, .NET has stack-allocated structs and ref-parameters.
3) Performance close to C++.
4) API-like world objects with all packet mechanics hidden inside

The repo is here -link removed-

I'm looking for enthusiasts who can help me with the project.

First of all, you mentioned 447.
I assume you are not a subscriber, so good luck on that.

1) Modernizing project codebase? Meaning L2jMobius is somehow outdated?

2) Java's garbage collection mechanisms, are highly optimized and efficient for managing memory. We use them for years with success.

3) Last time I checked Java's performance was closer to C++ than C#. Not that C# fells far behind, but I wont tell you where C# really falls behind, your choice, your lessons to be learned.

4) As in API-like world objects with all packet mechanics hidden inside, made by choice?

Overall, while C#/.NET offers its own set of advantages and strengths, Java remains a compelling choice for many projects,
particularly those that prioritize platform independence, community support, and enterprise-grade reliability.

Ultimately, the choice between Java and C#/.NET depends on your own preferences.

No offence, but I do projects like yours every weekend to chill, loosen up my mind from the weekly grind.
What you do, I might have done it. By rewriting Java to C# you will probably have a drop of performance instead of increasing it.
Tho things will look fine with a few clients connected, they will go wild, really fast, when actual people start connecting.

Offline Grymyr

• Vassal
Thank you Mobius for the reply. I'm not going to discuss java/.NET difference because I don't know Java platform very well.
I work on the high-load projects in C++ and .NET for years and I'm pretty sure I can do better in .NET, including performance.

Online Liamxroy

• Grand Duke
    • Adenaplease!
Thank you Mobius for the reply. I'm not going to discuss java/.NET difference because I don't know Java platform very well.
I work on the high-load projects in C++ and .NET for years and I'm pretty sure I can do better in .NET, including performance.

Happy to read that there's people around the globe with so much free time because you gonna need more than 24h of the day to actually make this work.
There's plenty of reason I would never use .Net for anything but Who am I to disagree?

Offline nasseka

• Distinguished King
    • L2Unknown
Not to mention there are years spend on the project already...but who am I to judge :D

Online Mobius

• Distinguished King
Links removed. I do not offer exposure to people that use leaked files.
First you shamelessly use stolen files and with your first topic you try to leech people, not cool.
Topic locked.