L2JMobius

Server Machine

MadSounds · 12 · 3474

Offline MadSounds

• Heir
Hello folks!

I have serious doubt about the server machine I should get my hands on, for a live server and I believe this is a common question most people would probably have. It's more like, where to put our resources on...
- CPU clock speed
- CPU cores
- Amount of RAM
- Amount of Bandwith (this is the most expansive I think, how big is this impact?)
I want to be ready in case of large amounts of players log in.

One other question people might have is regarding security and protection:
Is it wise to have one separate server for the login server? In my mind, having 2 servers it's more difficult for DDoS to go through and if someone attacks the login IP, the game server won't experience lags and spikes. Something like this:
Server 1: login server (are there any special resources I should take care of on this machine?)
Server 2: game server + DB

Thanks!

Offline Trance

• Elder
Hello folks!

I have serious doubt about the server machine I should get my hands on, for a live server and I believe this is a common question most people would probably have. It's more like, where to put our resources on...
- CPU clock speed
- CPU cores
- Amount of RAM
- Amount of Bandwith (this is the most expansive I think, how big is this impact?)
I want to be ready in case of large amounts of players log in.

One other question people might have is regarding security and protection:
Is it wise to have one separate server for the login server? In my mind, having 2 servers it's more difficult for DDoS to go through and if someone attacks the login IP, the game server won't experience lags and spikes. Something like this:
Server 1: login server (are there any special resources I should take care of on this machine?)
Server 2: game server + DB

Thanks!

GAME-1 from OVH can probably handle more than 2k players. As about RAM, I suggest you to go for 64 instead of 32 if you wanna have a Windows Server machine and virtualize the Linux on it, there are so many good reasons to do it this way. You can buy IPs at OVH for like 1 or 2 dollars.
Having 2 separated servers for LS & GS won't help anyhow. There are no security issues as long as you only do IP binding between the 2 IPs.
If you really want to have 2 Dedicated Servers, you better use them for Load Balancing, not to have them as GS + LS.

Offline MadSounds

• Heir
Thanks a lot for the reply! Really, there are things I've never thought about.

Digging a little deeper, can I asked a little more, why would I Virtualize Linux on the server machine?

And how would a load balancing be possible, I didn't even consider it, thinking was impossible.

Thanks bro!

Offline Trance

• Elder
Thanks a lot for the reply! Really, there are things I've never thought about.

Digging a little deeper, can I asked a little more, why would I Virtualize Linux on the server machine?

And how would a load balancing be possible, I didn't even consider it, thinking was impossible.

Thanks bro!

So you can easily manage your server, better and faster backups, KVM remote in at any any time if you fuck something up regarding the connection. A LAN connection between your Windows Machine and Linux.

Load Balancing is being done network wise if you have 2 or more Dedicated Servers.

Offline MadSounds

• Heir
Load Balancing is being done network wise if you have 2 or more Dedicated Servers.

How would that work? Could you describe it more in-depth?

Offline Trance

• Elder

Offline MadSounds

• Heir
The only thing I didn't get is, if the LB is directing traffic to another server, how this server will host the same "world" as the other one?
I mean, how the 2 servers host the same world.

Offline Trance

• Elder
The only thing I didn't get is, if the LB is directing traffic to another server, how this server will host the same "world" as the other one?
I mean, how the 2 servers host the same world.

The load balancer should have its own IP.
You can even use the vRack feature to have multiple Dedicated Servers from OVH on different continents connected to each other via LAN, about 40tbps connection speed handled by the company, that's basically the maximum speed of one fiber pipe, so that means OVH got their own fiber under the ocean, this explains their low ping between continents while using OVH. That's why I personally choose France as hosting, it has a fiber under the sea to NYC, and NYC has a fiber (well multiple...) to South America.

Offline MadSounds

• Heir
The load balancer should have its own IP.
You can even use the vRack feature to have multiple Dedicated Servers from OVH on different continents connected to each other via LAN, about 40tbps connection speed handled by the company, that's basically the maximum speed of one fiber pipe, so that means OVH got their own fiber under the ocean, this explains their low ping between continents while using OVH. That's why I personally choose France as hosting, it has a fiber under the sea to NYC, and NYC has a fiber (well multiple...) to South America.

So, tell me if I am wrong.
- My players will connect with the Load Balancer IP.
- The load balancer will decide which VPS under it, it will redirect the connection
- All VPSs under the load balancer will be running the loginserver.exe
- All the logins will connect via a Virtual LAN (vRack) to a dedicated server hosting the world.

Am I on track?

Offline Trance

• Elder
I mean, it depends. You can read OVH's official documentation - they are very good at it.

Offline viracocha

• Knight
Somebody use OVH Service? its a good choice againts DDOS Atacks?

Offline Paiplayer

• Knight
So, tell me if I am wrong.
- My players will connect with the Load Balancer IP.
- The load balancer will decide which VPS under it, it will redirect the connection
- All VPSs under the load balancer will be running the loginserver.exe
- All the logins will connect via a Virtual LAN (vRack) to a dedicated server hosting the world.

Am I on track?

By default the load balancing technology will make sure that packets from the player to the server are sent to the least busy machine. This can cause the player's route to change from one server to another at any given time, and this may cause him to lose connection because the World entity where he was instantiated in EnterWorld is only on one of the machines.

Therefore: load balancing does not work with L2J servers because there is still no technology to connect worlds instantiated on separate machines.
Want a developer? Check here or call me on Discord: PaiPlayer#5051